Thursday, May 04, 2006

Mountain Dew

On my other blog I have never gotten as many responses to a post as I did to my post on soda pop. That's right. Soda pop.

I decided my first entry here should be on one dimension of the soft drink universe, specifically the magical beverage known as Mountain Dew. I'm not going into alot of details - you don't need 'm I'm sure, but I am putting in some good stuff.

The homepage of Mountain Dew is okay, a little too "extreme" for my humble tastes, but such is life - it does, however, give us the official history of the yellow-green liquid. Arguably the best unofficial site, the site that will utterly drown you data and images, is MountainDewBottles.com, though the Mountain Dew Collector (home of the Dew Times) site ain't bad either.

Here's the MetroPulse history of the Dew, the urban legend about Dew's effect on man-potency, a blog entry which mentions the term "It'll Tickle Your Innards," a list of mixed drinks with the Dew at their core (76 at the time of posting), and a basic, cut and dried history of their ad campaigns.

Things to keep in mind? Names on bottles, the fact that this is a moonshine mixer, and the phrases "belly-washer" and "yahoo." Dig.

6 comments:

cechols said...

Good idea for a blog, Smith. Thanks for inviting me to be a part of it.

Anonymous said...

Of course, In Kentucky Appalachia, what we love to drink is Ale 8...

Anonymous said...

When I was 13, I flew on a plane to California, leaving eastern NC for the first time. When the stewardess asked me what I wanted to drink, I asked her what they had. "Oh, just about anything," she said. So I ordered a Mountain Dew. "We don't have anything THAT exotic!" she huffed. I was completely confused. I thought that Mountain Dew was everywhere. It wasn't until later that I knew that it was a regional soft drink at that time.

Lance Houser said...

I love Mountain Dew. I drink a ton of the stuff so I was excited when they released the "original" style recipe. But it just tasted like sugar water! Is that what Mountain Dew always tasted like before the artificial syrup/sugar sweetener? And I was disappointed with the can too...I thought they might put the original hillbilly icon on it, but it was only a throwback to the 1980's style can.

Anonymous said...

You can say in a gist that- with designer bags at your side louis vuitton is not an impossible dream for you anymore. The net at this date is flooded with such designer louis vuitton bags manufacturers. The stiff competition among Embossed Leather has kept the prices at strict controls and quality at par with Embossed Patterns .

Anonymous said...

You can say in a gist that- with designer bags at your side louis vuitton is not an impossible dream for you anymore. The net at this date is flooded with such designer louis vuitton bags manufacturers. The stiff competition among Embossed Leather has kept the prices at strict controls and quality at par with Embossed Patterns .