Saturday, April 14, 2007

In Search of Truth

I'm not much of a story teller, so please forgive me.

Being a fan of natural landforms, I revel at the chance to see these wonders of nature in person. This website http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/landforms/ has been very helpful in locating landforms in my area. When I first discovered the website, I was amazed to find out that there was a waterfall very near here that measures an astonishing 475 feet. For comparison, the famous Fall Creek Falls measure in around 250 feet. Intrigued, I set out to find this legendary Buckeye Falls.


After and aborted attempt during the winter of 2003, we set out in the Spring fully loaded for an overnight trip. A black bear sighting left us a little shaky, but fortunately the bear ran away when it sighted us. A dirt road gave way to a horse trail that grave way to a foot trail. We set up camp near the creek right before the trail ended and we had to bushwhack. Now, with only my camera, two bottles of water and a limb saw, we were ready to tackle the rough part of the trail. Wear neared where we stopped the past winter and noticed a tree with a "B" and an arrow carved into it. My limb saw came in handy as we had to climb up a steep creek bed that was covered in thick brush and tree branches. Finally, we reached the top and this was our reward.






Buckeye Falls is not a roaring waterfall, but a nice cascade down the steep side of a mountain. It's hard to tell how high it is, but using points of reference in the photos, you can see it is quite the drop.

2 comments:

cechols said...

Where is this, KFC? Not in Greene co.?

CharlesTheKungFuMaster said...

It's in or near the Sampson Wilderness Area where Washington, Greene and Unicoi Counties come together. About halfway to Erwin on 107, turn right onto, I think, Clarks Creek Road. We had to park where the bridge was out, but I believe it has since been repaired.