Monday, June 19, 2006

NASA Image Exchange

Western Virginia:
source

Some of the guys who post here are, frankly, great photographers - I credit their experience and their artistic sensibilities. Me, well, I can take the occasional decent shot, but I am a substantially better writer and draughtsman than I am a photog. That said, I love great photography, especially photography of scale, the kind that gives the humble member of our species a genuine sense of his or her place in our place in the Universe and, of course, in relation to the people and places we love - perhaps that is why I find myself awed and astounded by class photographs, especially al fresco. I dunno'.

Regardless, I have long felt an urge to drop some photos on ya'll myself. . . call it jealousy, call it envy, call it keeping up with the Joneses. And, in light of my particular skills (and lack thereof), I decided to hit the NASA mother site and dig up a little deliciousness. After a little browsing and a few successful searches, I found NIX, the Nasa Image Exchange. Essentially, this site is little more than a collection of images, gathered from NASA's archives and up for free consideration and distribution (of the non-profit genre). I'm dropping in a few images (and their sublinks) for ya'll to look at: all are images of Appalachia from several miles up. . . astounding, really. First off, don't be under any illusion that these are the extent of the available images - there are literally thousands of images (though only a hundred will show up under any given search, so precision in searches may be useful). Of course, if you're interested in other areas of the world, this site has potential as well. Hope you enjoy it and/or find it useful.

East Tennessee:
source

Snowfall in Southern Appalachia:
source

Western Virginia:
source

East Tennessee:
source

No comments: