Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Reclaiming Buildings II

Adding to Eric's post below, I recently walked my family's farm in Pulaski County, Va. and snapped some pictures of older buildings. My great-grandfather built most of the buildings in the 1940's and 50's. For the most part, the exterior siding is oak, which is as hard as a rock today. The weakness over time comes from the posts, beams and roof purlins that were cut from softer woods. Today, most of the buildings are beyond repair. There are many factors as to why they weren't "kept-up", from family-feuding to lessee neglect to modern replacements. At any rate, they are being allowed to disappear and become a mass of wood and tin in the middle of overgrowth.

[ fire destroyed this once 3-story barn in the early 1990's]

[ old corn crib ]

[ cattle loading ramp ]

[ horse / hog / goat stables with hay loft above]

1 comment:

CS said...

I'm not sure how I missed this post earlier. It goes without saying that I think the buildings are beautiful. I have a friend who wants to take me to see her family homeplace up near Church Hill, TN. She said, "It's falling apart - you'd love it."