Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Lonetones

Friday night I went to the Lonetones' CD release party for "Nature Hatin' Blues," their second CD. The band is comprised of Steph Gunnoe (guitar, vocals), Sean McCollough (guitar, banjo, mandolin, vocals), Maria Williams (bass, vocals) and Phil Pollard (drums, xylophone).

We first encountered Sean McCollough several years ago when we went to a children’s show at the Laurel Theater in Knoxville, and loved his warm voice and obvious delight in singing to kids. Then we noticed he seemed to be playing at many of the events we attended: Peace rally at the Y12 bomb plant in Oak Ridge? Check. Vegetarian Festival? Check. Music on Market Square? Check. Last year, we went to a house party for the Lonetones and were introduced to the music of that band. They bill themselves as "Appalachian Americana," and I guess that fits as well as anything.
You can't beat taking in music at Carpe Librum Booksellers in Knoxville, with its personal and laid-back atmosphere. There were refreshments, including wine and some great bread (made by Steph, I'm told). Sort of a folksy communion. From last night's show -
Maria: "There are about four versions of that song, and one of them is stored in my medulla oblongata."
Phil: "Hey, it's a family show."

I was accompanied by a sleepy 9-year-old, and didn't get to stay as long as I'd have liked. Of the songs I heard, I especially enjoyed "Shine On," an endearing song about Knoxville. But I was there long enough to know I'm going to love this new CD. You can check them out yourself at a couple of upcoming shows - both free!:

This Monday, November 20th, 12:00 noon, on the Blue Plate Special at the WDVX Studios, One Vision Plaza on Gay Street.
And Sunday, December 3rd, 4:00 pm, at the Disc Exchange South on Chapman Highway.

For a more thorough and knowledgeable review than I am able to provide, check out this new website: Knoxville520. They offer reviews of various music and arts events, and a calendar of what's happening around the the area.

No comments: