Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Tuesday Eight: Blogs

Maysville, Kentucky (formerly "Limestone) - circa 1930
(From the Maysville Kentucky Blog, which you'd be wise to read if you're going to be within 1000 miles of the Kentucky/Ohio borderlands)


Okay. So I blew it. I did. I completely forgot to do my weekend five. I know you forgive me. It is all in the spirit of Thanksgiving (and the spirit of the Great Pumpkin, but that's a different story). So I've decided that, to make up for it, I would dig deep (while watching Lord of the Rings on the Dee-Vee-Dee) and pull out some of the finer blogs in, of, by, and about the region that I've come across. Some of them are old, some are new. All are worth at least a weekly look. So prepare for eight blogs. No. Not five. I owe you. Make it eight. That's right. Eight. Prepare to get addicted. . .

1) Al's Rantings
Since June of 2005
I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Appetizers:
October 20, 2006
July 18, 2006
May 30, 2006
May 22, 2006
May 3, 2006
March 1, 2006

Sentiment I disagree with: The second part of this sentence, "These are not "The Bridges of Madison County", which was a horrible Clint Eastwood movie. Second in poorness only to "Every Which Way But Loose" movies with Clyde the orangutan."

2) Ashevegas: A Real Mountain Metropolis
Since February of 2005
Some have called it the Paris of the South.The Sedona of the Southern Highlands. An island in a sea of insanity. It is what you make it. And almost everyone agrees that it's a great place to live. I hope this little blog can reflect some of what goes on in our little corner of the world. And you can help. Post a comment, make a suggestion.

Appetizers:
August 14, 2005
June 21, 2005
Goombay
McDowell County

Sentiment I disagree with: That this act should be performed outside of the sanctity of marriage.

3) Blue Ridge Muse

Since February of 2004
A writer and photographer returns home

Appetizers:
November 16, 2006
August 6, 2006
April 2, 2006
July 30, 2005
February 11, 2004

Sentiment I disagree with: I constantly mess with tradition in southwest Virginia - though usually that tradition deals with dance.

4) DowntownWV
Since March of 2006
It's not all just mountains. Life in urban West Virginia.

Appetizers:
November 21, 2006
October 30, 2006
September 27, 2006
August 31, 2006
May 30, 2006

Sentiment I disagree with: This hat.

5) fortsanders.net
Since January of 2006
made a deal with the devil. standard blues musician rapsheet.

Appetizers:
September 7, 2006
June 10, 2006
May 5, 2006
March 8, 2006
March 7, 2006
January 26, 2006

Sentiment I disagree with: Porquine auto-mutilation.

6) Maysville Kentucky Blog

Since November of 2005
The Maysville Kentucky Blog is your guide to the beautiful and historic small town of Maysville Kentucky, snuggled into the rolling hills along the Ohio River. We scour the web and local media for news from and about the area, and present a daily digest for our readers. Everyone is encouraged to participate by leaving their own thoughts and comments.

Appetizers:
November 26, 2006
November 25, 2006
September 25, 2006
June 30, 2006
May 23, 2006

Sentiment I disagree with: That Jesus would have anything to do with asparagus.

7) serialphoto.com
Since July of 2005
I’m Lowell Allen. I live in Asheville, North Carolina with my wife, cat and dog. I work as a designer and Web developer, and this is my photoblog. Rather than use existing software, I decided to write my own system. It’s fairly simple at this point, but I’ll be adding more navigation features as content builds. (Suggestions are welcome.) The general idea is to post a new photo every day.

Appetizers:
R
Tree-In-Fog
Norfolk Southern
Orange Mufflers
Fake Child
Beer-on-the-Wall
Traffic Circle

Sentiment I disagree with: There are far too few words on this blog for me to disagree with. I disagree with that.

8) Southern Highlands
Since September of 2004
In the great tradition of Cornwallcam, Lakelandcam, Blue Ridge Blog, and the late lamented SmokyBlog (now reconstituted as Austin Country Limits), this blog will consist of photos from the Blue Ridge and Great Smoky Mountain areas of North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and points north on occasion. As much as I'd love to post several beautiful photos daily, as do Charles Winpenny of Cornwallcam and Tony Richards of Lakelandcam, I expect the best I'll manage is several photos a week. Hope you enjoy them!

Appetizers:
July 29, 2006
July 11, 2006
March 4, 2006
October 20, 2005
May 24, 2005

Sentiment I disagree with: That the writing on these stones is unusual - they look an awful lot like my in-class essays in college.

Enjoy and tell your friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, if Jesus does exist then he has to eat his veggies the same as anyone else. Though I do picture spinach on the menu, I think that has more to do with mixed up mental images confusing Jesus with Popeye. Still, it's not that inconceivable that asparagus might end up on the almighty dinner plate.

Thanks for the mention : )

~ The Maysville Kentucky Blog