Thursday, May 10, 2007

"Frog Went A-Courting"

I have this book from my childhood called “Frog Went A-Courting” (History of Book) which is one of those little things in life that means more to me than any amount of money can buy. Most of us probably have a selected and secured library from our past that we wish to pass onto our own children. This morning as I sat down in front of my computer screen I came across a wonderful databank of Appalachian poetry, stories, and regional themes collected by Ferrum College. The guys in charge of this fantastic databank at Ferrum have collected so much information on Appalachian writings including children’s lit, poetry, folk tales, picture books, and even environmental themes. The range in work in the databank is enormous including the work of Jo Carson of Johnson City, TN and “The Soap Tale” collected by Emory L. Hamilton of Wise, VA (found under Fiction and Poems) among many many many other writers. Take a gander at the site and when your family comes rolling home pull them up to the porch for a cool afternoon read.

No comments: